Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Friday, February 24, 2012

Third Day of Fasting

So now we're into it. For the first few days of my #fast4freedom I wasn't feeling much of anything. Maybe it was the fact that up until today I was cheating on each 24 hour fast - starting with dinner one night then lunch the next. But today as hour 25 and 26 rolled around, I remembered why this Lenten practice was so hard. Eating one meal a day doesn't feel like what the human body was designed to do. But then I think of those schools in Haiti that my Dad and crew (and a bunch more Methodists beyond that!) have worked at. The large lunches provided to kids for whom this might be their only meal of the day. I'm reminded in those moments that even if this isn't what our bodies are designed for, it is the reality of many lives. This Lent I'm inspired and am trying to follow in the example of people who can gain some experiential knowledge of the other. Whether this means wearing the same dress for 80 days or giving up sleeping on a bed for Lent - something first hand that instructs me about the hardships others face, in some small way. I think in these deserts God reveals something to us. Our brokenness, our complicity in the brokenness of others. I pray all this will too return to dust. But for now, stay strong fellow desert dwellers!

No comments:

Post a Comment