Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday daily Groove

I have been here just long enough to develop a routine. I wake up at 6am, pop in the shower if it is free, then make some coffee, peanut butter toast and a boiled egg for breakfast. After that, put my leg on, get dressed and head for the bus. If Lawrence the tailor is there its a bit more hectic because I have to fit in our orders in a short amount of time.

The bus is usually too full in the mornings to catch in front of our house so I have to catch one going down the hill for 50 kwatcha and the one back up from the market over to the hospital for 100 (altogether still less than 75 cents). Consider it a transfer. Yesterday I had to sit on a bag of rice. But it gets me here in shorter time than it would take me to walk.

Labs are a hot commodity at this hospital, and I think they may only make one copy of the results and sometimes you have to "chase results" as an order, which ends up being something you do on your own anyway. One must take the mindset if you want something done (at all), you may have to do it yourself. So here I wait, at the lab, while they look for the labs of my patient who is peeing blood. Alas, the pace of everything in Africa is slower (except the minibuses).

Also, our second crocodile bite in a little over a week came in last night. Although this guy had more morbidity. The croc got his left arm and part of an ear, let's hope he can pull through but he looked close to death yesterday when he came in. Moses, the prior croc attack patient is doing well, considering.

I took the minibus home after buying some groceries, and a snickers bar (funny how those things remind you of home). It took the long way, because the pushy guys had me get on the wrong bus. That's okay because we got to drive through the plant nursery which was super beautiful. And don't worry, they left me right at our house.
And now for a relaxing afternoon of reading, listening to music and reflecting on this life:)
Dust thou art and dust thou shall return.

Here's me on the bus


Me doing ward rounds


The patient's chart- held together with gauze

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. Your blog makes for fascinating reading. (We're never met, but I'm your husband's second cousin once removed--Colin Oatley.)

    ReplyDelete