Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Monday, February 13, 2012

Hardest day

Today was really, really hard. I attempted the walk to the hospital and then had plenty of hours of standing and walking from here to there inside the spread out hospital campus. After being thrown into the mix, my friend Dana and I spent four or more hours in the men's surgical ward rounding on patients with the interns.

Our first patient of the day was the most exciting part of the day. He was a boy who was fishing on a river and got attacked by a crocodile! What a story. We definitely don't get those in the states. Don't worry, considering, he is actually healing pretty well and scheduled for a skin graft on Wednesday which I hope to see.

After that it was all down hill, we were rounding for 4.5 hours, hot and very dehydrating, I didn't bring enough for lunch and I still hadn't gotten any Kwatcha ($) exchanged so I couldn't buy anything for lunch. We were told before we broke for lunch to be back "after two" to help finish some stuff and that the registrar (British for resident) would meet us at 3:30pm to pull out some chest tubes. We stopped by at 2:15 and could find no sign of anyone, then came back at 3:10pm and as we walked into the ward hall, the intern walked out with chest tube and machine in hand. And I was like "you're finished" yup. "with all of them!?" yup "all three?!!??" yup. We had stayed around and missed the one cool part of the day. So with a FML attitude we began to walk home after a recent storm with more clouds looming. Luckily the rain was finished for the day and we made it home but I immediately had to take my leg off for the rest of the day. Everyone says the walk is 15-20 min. But I can't make it in less than 30.

So when we came home to no Internet, no power, we just met Yvette on the porch and griped about our days until we were clean out of complaining.

Then the lights came back on at 8pm and it was 1 hour after match results came out. So we all checked and I got my #3 choice of St. John's Providence. After a day of multiple defeats, this one was the straw that broke the camels back. Not that I won't get a good education there but it feels like a cold shoulder and like I didn't win the popularity contest.

Sorry no pictures today but I was just too tired. Like the mom on Bridesmaids says, if you've hit rock bottom, there is no way to go but up!

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you, Anna! Great to be able to hear about your experiences...even when you feel sucky about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First days are always the worst. Sounds like as you adapt to their culture you will see some very interesting things. And about Providence....remember that every experience is valuable and who knows where it might lead. You are going to be a Great Dr., I have no doubt! - Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You're so popular, everyone loves you wherever you go! Don't feel bummed, things don't work out the way we want them too often, and that's ok. You are so blessed and I love you. I'm reading all your blog posts like a creepy stalker! Love, Emily Jean in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna - sounds like a rough day - sorry!! I hope it only gets better from here. It's going to be such remarkable experience. Is your match with St John Providence in Southfield? If so, that's where our boys were born and we met a lot of med students - especially when Sam was born - they came from all over the hospital to see the "toddler" that had been born that morning :) Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete