Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Blantyre

This weekend Dana and I opted to stay in Blantyre while our housemates took the challenging journey up Mulanje Massif (a mountain I am sure I would not have made it up). We spent the evening last night having craft time and watching the Fresh Water episode of Planet Earth because they feature a segment on Lake Malawi in that one and we only thought it appropriate.

Oh and we saw a Chameleon on the walk home, I almost freaked I was so excited!!!

Saturday was spent bummin' around Blantyre. We went to ShopRite, the South African Grocery store to see what they offered, and road around town in minibuses. No chickens on them today however on my way to work on Thursday and Friday we were definitely accompanied by at least one chicken.

For lunch we went to a house favored restaurant called Veg-Delight. I had Vegitarian Samosas and a Mango Lassi, yum. Then I took off to the curios which is the touristy market where they have baskets, wood carvings and cars made out of wire but I figured I'd hold off because I've been buying a lot of gifts already and have to make sure I don't need to buy a new bag to transport it all home!

So then I went down to Blantyre market to get some produce for the house. I got tomatoes, pineapple, apples, cucumber, and onion. But I could have gotten a whole lot more. Once I ventured into the produce side of the market I realized how deep the place really goes. There is a "stuff" side that is all covered and looks like something out of a movie chase scene where some small local kid is being chased and he dodges in and out of these skinny passageways to evade his pursuers. I did not have the courage to venture into the dark hallways by myself but will before I leave Blantyre, and take pictures. Now I am sitting on the porch, blogging and reading and drinking a gin and tonic (cures malaria;) and just taking in all the awesome weather, wonders and sites that go by. I may even put on Out of Africa in the background.

My chameleon friend

Blantyre Market Below
Our helpful alarm clock, whenever they feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment