Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Peds Sgx

When someone dies at QECH, all of the women in the family/friends come to the ward and begin singing beautifully sad sounding African harmonies. When they finish preparing the body in cheese cloth, they roll them out and through the center hallway of the hospital, all of the women following and singing. It is respectful to stop as the procession goes by. I had my first encounter with one of these yesterday on my way to the Theatre. I caught myself almost to tears, as it had already been an emotional day. But I was touched by how beautiful it was as well.

In the USA, we hide this period of time, have back hallways and elevators so that no one has to look death in the face. We continue to go on thinking we are invincible, while death is never far. I know death at all ages is an even sharper reality in many African countries, as the infant mortality rate and accident and disease of the young is more common, but I think the way they approach death when it comes may be healthier for the psyche in the long run.

This morning I traveled with Dr Lebbi and Prof. Borgstein to the special care nursery where four babies share a warmer. The new Peds surgeon Bip Nandi says they may spread infection but at least they won't get lonely.

I am beginning to rely on the Samosa lady who comes to the surgical theatre daily around 11am, very yummy. I want to get a recipe for them at home, for special occasions that is because I know deep fried meat pockets are not recommended by nutritionists. Neither is a daily coca-cola but I give myself some leeway when I am away from home. Plus the soda is made with cane sugar so its super yummy!

I've caught myself a couple of times using the very Malawian affirmation of "Mmm.". Our guide on safari used it and many others I have noticed doing it. Now I have started without even thinking of it. I will ask someone a question, then getting an answer I find myself nodding "Mmm".

They ventilate the babies in surgery by hand, one CRNA dedicated solely to squeezing the bag. A lot of responsibility for one person, but then that's medicine.

Ward rounds on peds surgery is very interesting. But for the most part I tried to see how many little ones I could smile at and get one in return. I'm at almost 100%. They are so adorable!

The giant snail I saw


Special care nursery, 4 to a warmer

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Anna! I love reading about your observations and thoughts. xoxox Elizabeth
    ps I loved the coka in TZ because it was made with cane sugar too. I don't drink it here because I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete