Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Last Weekend in Blantyre

This weekend, being our last in Malawi we decided to stay in Blantyre. It has been quite fun to act as a (somewhat) local and do things around town. Friday evening after dinner we went out to a bar called the Blue Elephant. I saw one of the nice Interns there and was feeling cool that I ran into someone that I knew.

Saturday some of the group went to the tea estates while I opted to really stay in Blantyre. After a lazy morning (which was absolutely wonderful) we walked to Lambats, saw Dr. Ntoto on the street getting some pants altered and got more fabric for a few last minute projects from Lawrence. Then we went up to the Kurios market where they sell all of the crafts and souvenir type stuff. Those guys are very pushy and even though you say you are just looking they want to show you everything. Apparently though I am a really good haggler because one guy gave me some stuff for free! I feel bad but I guess that is his technique. I got some cute stuff though. Thanks David and Derek and Happiness.

Then we had a small lunch at Veg Delight, and Liz and I headed over to Open Arms, a 0-2yr old orphanage where we just stay and played with the babies. It's appropriately named because the toddlers will wobble over to you and then with their arms out above their heads they will fall onto you. So cute. But nothing like spending an afternoon with 24 toddlers to exhaust you and make you think you need a bit more time before having kids of your own. Luckily I never plan to have 24 of them!!! But they were darling and I fell in love with a few of them.

Saturday evening we went to a fancy restaurant called La Haustatria or something. The food was pretty good but I think the Italians in Zomba were better. On returning home from the restaurant I remembered another thing that I will miss from Malawi: the beautiful fragrance of the night rose. I don't know if that's really what it's called...but it is a beautiful scent.

Sunday morning was filled with Ang's cinnamon rolls (Mmm) and then she joined me for church. We called Lawrence the taxi man and he sent Terrance to help us find where Galilea is without Kara this time. After a few turns that I knew for sure I began to grow weary but then we saw a beat up sign with the cross and flames and knew we were on the right track. Little did I know the church is off the city map! But we found it and were welcomed with "Anna!" as Esther, the pastor's wife recognized me and welcomed us back. I was amazed that she remembered my name as it was a whole month ago that we met! Again, what a blessing church with them was. So much joy and faith and praise and song! I got some great recordings I plan to share once I have faster Internet (aka, once I get home). We spoke the apostles creed in Chichewa and noticed a familiar tune to one of the songs and then I realized it was The Old Rugged Cross (and secretly thought to myself, with all the amazing African hymns--this is our gift of song to them????).

The afternoon was spent relaxing, reading on the porch, listening and watching the rain and Dana made everyone Latkas! Yumm! What a delightful weekend it was. And in other big news, Ethyl--our chicken, has hatched five baby chicks! So cute!
Mom with chick





The Old Rugged Cross




Apostles Creed in Chichewa

No comments:

Post a Comment