Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Last Day

So my last day at QECH was a shorter one, however I tried my best to photo and reflect on my time here as much as possible. I photoed the entrance to the hospital, the minibus stop, different parts of the hospital. It is amazing to think how nervous I was just six weeks ago, entering a world of unknowns. I managed to find my way around QECH and Blantyre, even with one leg and no car.

I spent the morning after the handover saying goodbyes, handing out thank yous and then I headed over to the Malaria research ward to see how Dr. Taylor spends her days. It was very interesting and refreshing to see how methodical and consistent they were with the patients. It just goes to show it can be done, however it is obvious that they have much more people and resources. If only the whole hospital could get research type funding, the level of care would be astounding.

In the afternoon I took what will likely be my last minibus ride, phew! Made it without a scratch (knock on wood). And then after a nice nap I joined some of my roommates at a program called Noah's Ark. It's a program for children that have lost their mothers, they pay for school, help them with schooling, feed them and give them a place to go after school. What a fun afternoon! I handed out stickers which everyone patiently waited their turn. We played with bubbles and sang songs like "If your happy and you know it.". There were the Malawi versions as well. I have video of the little kids dancing in the middle of the circle, so precious! The lady who runs the program also just happens to be from Flint! Go Michiganders!

This evening we had a lovely dinner with visitors and had good discussion, good drinks and great cookies! Thanks Simone and Liz. I had a nice long conversation with Christopher, one of the guards about the political climate in the USA and the political climate in Malawi. It was very interesting. We even discussed gay rights! Which their are none of in Malawi, homosexuality is illegal here. It was a nice discussion and I enjoyed getting to know him a little better. I feel spoiled by all of the blessings I have experienced here and will miss it all, but I just talked to Carl and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Kenya! Yay!
Minibus stop at QECH


Main theatre entrance



Malaria research ward

No comments:

Post a Comment