Welcome to the blog!

We are two people, one dog and three legs...well technically ten. But this is our story about going through life with some obstacles we have to maneuver and how we go about doing just that! And by the way, our life is fewer obstacles and more awesomeness. Stay tuned for more awesomeness...

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A tourist in your own town...

After our awesome trip to Portland, seeing all of the sights, it struck us, our town is pretty awesome, too.  It's funny how you take things for granted when you live there.  So I made it a goal to be a tourist in my own town.  Here is Day 1 of Tourism in Your Own Town from Last week:

As the kickoff to summer, Memorial Day weekend opened with an awesome Tigers Game W (we listened to it on the radio, but we went to a game last week, does that count?)  While they were playing, we too were playing with our favorite four and six year olds Casey and Sam at Zap Zone!  We got some awesome prizes due to our joint effort in the Deal or No Deal game (1007 tickets, what what??)  It was great to be included as part of the family outing for Sam's Big 4.

Saturday Morning was started with a trip over to Good Girls Go to Paris Crepes.  Even though it was the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure, the line wasn't too long.  I love the taste of Crepes in the morning:)

After that I popped over to the Eastern Market, which was crazytown.  But that is okay, I like it when all those awesome folks come in from the burbs:)  But the new Devries & Co., however NOT Hirts it may be, have made a few improvements.  And I am glad I could return my Calder Dairy Bottles there.  Makes me feel more authentic to buy Milk in a glass jug.  Then it was on to the Detroit City Futball Club game at Cass Tech.  But wait, it was pouring rain.  Too bad, that didn't stop the fans from showing up.  And they pulled off a stunning 3-0 win against the Erie Admirals.  Way to go Le Rouge!!!

This week was also an exciting time of Tourism in our own town.  It started on Saturday after getting back from a week of camp.  I had learned the dance for the proposed flash mob in support of the Ruth Ellis Center.  It was to be done at Motor City Pride.  But it literally rained on our gay pride parade.  Boo.  So no flash mob, maybe next year?  But the Ruth Ellis center does really cool stuff and I was excited to participate.  I rode my bike from Hart Plaza to Metropolitan UMC which was quite the sociology experiment.  I left from the GLBT Pride event, then drove past the Tigers fans during a rain delay, then up to Midtown where the DSO was about to start (fancy, Meh), and then through New Center which is pretty shut down during the evening.  It showed me all the different people that belong to this city.  Pretty neat.

Monday night I went to my first ever Magic Stick concert.  But first we attended Happy Hour at Roast's Bar...very reasonable!  And what a burger for $4! Then we saw the Punch Brothers!  They were awesome.  And if you don't know them, check um out.  They are the new rendition of Chris Thile's (of Nickel Creek) band.  It was very fun.

Tuesday brought us to Detroit City Futball League's game night.  My mom came in for the game and wanted a hot dog....so I took her to Lafayette Coney Island, which was actually my first time.  I still have not done the challenge (compare Lafayette to American) but now I can at least say I've eaten at the original.  And let me tell you, they are not popular because of their service (NO) but it was quite an experience nonetheless.  Sorry to say, Cass United Lost but not in spirit!  The afterparty at Nancy Whiskey was fun and we even got a visit from Detroit Pleasure Society, one of our local Party Marching Bands.  Here is a quick clip (doesn't do the energy justice):



And on Wednesday Laura McLaughlin and Jamie Delp came in to join us for a Tigers Game (no W this time).  We went to Seva Detroit, sat on the patio and they have quite a nice Happy Hour as well:)




2 comments:

  1. Staycations can be fun. Several of your relatives were also at the DCFC-Erie match, watching Carl's third cousin Tom Oatley play for DCFC. Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4063276624522.177715.1360434130&type=1&l=ceab23828e

    ReplyDelete